Is liposuction safe?
Many people want to know if liposuction is safe for them or not. Men and women are increasingly influenced by this beauty treatment called Liposuction which is a type of cosmetic surgery done to eliminate the extra fats from the body. Alternatively, it is known as body contouring, lipo etc. Basically, people undergo this surgery to correct the shape and size of their bodies. This surgery targets some of the areas with high-fat content of example, the buttocks, thighs, hips, abdomen, arms, neck, and back. This is recommended for those individuals who have tried hard to lose weight through a change in diet and exercise but still not benefitted.
You should know that this is not a weight loss treatment, but an artificial way to reduce the weight. It involves significant risks and hence you must consult with your doctor before undergoing it. This is the reason why many people opt for natural ways to reduce body fats which do not require going under the knife.
The procedure of liposuction
The surgery requires you to go under anesthesia. Though you do not feel pain during the operation, you may feel it after the procedure completed. It is said that recovery takes time and it is often painful.
Your hospital stay depends on which part of your body is targeted during the surgery. Some of the surgeries are done in an outpatient center. Some common effect of the surgery is pain, swelling, bruising, soreness, and numbness in the areas. The doctors will give you pain management options after the surgery and you will need to follow that.
Is liposuction safe for me?
Not everyone can undergo liposuction surgery. Your doctor is the best person to tell you if you are a good candidate to go for this cosmetic surgery. Usually, to undergo this surgery you should fulfill the following conditions
- Overall you are in good health
- You are not obese
- You don’t smoke
- Your skin elasticity is good
- Your muscle tone is good
- You have considerable fat deposits which are not going away with diet and exercise.
On the other hand, you should avoid it in the following conditions
- If you are a heavy smoker
- If you have chronic diseases like diabetes, heart ailment etc
- If your immunity is low
- If you are overweight
- If your skin is saggy
- If you are taking blood thinners which may increase the risk of bleeding
What are the risks of liposuction?
Liposuction carries numerous risks and disadvantages
- It may cause injuries to other organs
- Complications arise from anesthesia
- Fat removal in an uneven manner
- Damage to the nerve and loss of sensation on the skin
- Burn caused by instruments
- Damage to blood vessels and lungs and other organs
- A blood clot in your veins which carry the risk of traveling to other organs
- Deposition of fluids in the lungs
- Infections in the body
- Hematoma, it refers to a condition of bleeding under the skin
- Seroma which refers to fluid leaking under the skin
- Edema or swelling
- Skin necrosis which typically refers to the death of skin cells
Does liposuction last?
This surgery permanently destroys the skin cells from the selected parts of your body. But with time new fat cells may appear and you will gain weight. These new fat cells carry the risk of depositing in different parts of your body. For example, if they get deposited under the skin of the heart or liver, they give rise to many complications.
To get maximum benefit from your liposuction, you should follow a strict diet rich in low-fat dairy products, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein. You must resume your physical exercise also to retain your shape.
So liposuction is not for everyone. This surgery has limitations and side effects. It is always better to opt for minimally invasive treatments to release excess body fats.
Before arriving any conclusion on if liposuction is safe for you or not, you should talk to a qualified and experienced medical clinic that will tell you the safety aspects of this surgery and provide you with better alternatives.
Book an appointment with Dr Jonathan Spages for any information about liposuction.
Is liposuction safe for Lymphedema?
Liposuction is a surgical procedure that uses a suction technique to remove extra fats from specific areas of the body and thus is very much helpful for the patients who are suffering from Lymphedema. It is a condition, when excess fluid known as lymph collects in tissues, causing swelling or edema. It commonly occurs in arms or legs and when you go for other surgical operations it may cause your life at risk. But liposuction is very safe in this regard.
Liposuction surgery for advanced Lymphedema
If you are facing problems of Lymphedema such as swelling in the arms and leg and increasing discomfort thereby, then our liposuction will benefit you both emotionally as well as socially. It is held as an ongoing rehabilitation and compression therapy in your body and help to generate necessary component for a long-term period.
Ideal candidates for Liposuction for Lymphedema
You might be thinking is liposuction safe for your disease or not. Then we want to make you clear that with the help of initial check-up, we will let you know whether this treatment will benefit you or not and if you are agreed with the consequences, then only the surgery will take place.
- Patients with Late stage of Lymphedema, i.e., with fatty change and minimal fluid in the limb.
- When the arm-volume difference is 750–1000 ml (or arm ratio above 1:1.3) and a leg-volume difference are greater than 3000ml.
- A person not having any recent cellulitis (infection)
- Patients should not have any skin lesions or ulcers in the limb.
- Should not have any evidence of active cancer
Liposuction treatment by us
Physmednj is an expert in providing you with the best Liposuction treatment that will benefit your body to get rid of any disease. Moreover, the surgery is very cost-effective and takes place in a very short period of time. If you are a Lymphedema patient, then you can go for this surgical treatment with us.